Orlando Lawyer Yelp Page

​​​FAQs About Legal Services

  • Do I need a lawyer? 
    Whether you need a lawyer depends on your specific case. Share your situation with our attorneys, and we will discuss with you the potential issues and if you need a lawyer.  If it is a criminal, family, or academic matter, we are happy to help, otherwise we have a great relationship with numerous attorneys who handle other matters and are happy to send you over to someone who will give your case the time, effort and attention it deserves.
  • Do I have a good case? 
    Again it depends, during all of our initial consultations before a contract is signed, we go over the pros and cons of your case with you in detail and discuss the potential outcomes.  We will then continue to update you on the status of your case as the evidence, motions, and depositions occur.
  • What should I bring to a meeting with my attorney? 
    Names/Phone Number/Address of witnesses, any video/evidence you have, any court documents, any family members who will be paying, helping, etc.
  • How can you get me out of this? 
    ​This is a question we are frequently asked, and sometimes the answer is that we cannot.  We can, however, promise to do everything we ethically can to help get your case resolved in the best manner possible for you.

​FAQs About Our Office & Services

  •  What are your hours? 
    Our physical office is open from 8:30 to 5:00.  However, because most of our clients have jobs and other obligations, our phone number (407) 906-JLAW (5529) is available 24/7 and on a case by case basis we can set office conferences outside of normal office hours.
  • Where is your office? 
    Our office in Orlando is located at 605 E Robinson St, Suite 330, Orlando, FL 32801.
    ​Our office in Kissimmee is located at 1310 N. Main St. Suite 106, Kissimmee, FL 34744

  • Why types of cases do you handle? 
    We handle all criminal law, family law and academic hearing matters.  On a case by case basis we can assist with some other matters, or at least get you in contact with a fantastic attorney who can help.
  • What areas do you cover? 
    We cover the entire Central Florida area, including (but not limited to) Orange, Seminole, Osceola, Brevard, Volusia, Lake, and Sumter Counties, the courthouses, schools and colleges located in those counties.
  • How much will it cost? 
    Cost of representation depends upon the nature of your case—obviously a first time traffic ticket costs way less than an attempted murder case.  We can promise you that we keep our overhead low so that we can provide you top quality legal representation for an affordable price.
  • How can I pay?  Do you accept credit cards? 
    You can pay by cash, check or credit card in person.  Additionally you can pay by credit card over the phone or through emailed invoices.
  • Do you do payment plans? 
    Depending upon the case and the situation we do offer payment plans on a limited basis.  Contact us today to find out if your case qualifies.

FAQ About Criminal Cases

  • The police want to speak with me, what do I do? 
    This is one of the best questions you can ask.  Most of the time, people have already spoken to the police before they contact us, and there is not much we can do.  If the police have contacted you as part of an investigation, we can help you decide whether talking to the police may be helpful and we can be present with you during questioning.

  • What if I am a witness or the victim of a case? 
    Often, the police want to speak to you because you are a victim or a witness on a case.  In these situations, we can go over a mock interview with you and/or be there when you speak to the police.  You do have to make sure that there is nothing you will say that will make you a defendant on that or a future case.

  • Is there a warrant out for me? 
    We are happy to look into this for you and see if we can find any information.  Often, there is no way to know until you are arrested, but if you believe there is a warrant out, you can put us on retainer so we are there at the jail with you for initial appearances and getting you a bond.

  • How does a criminal case work? 

    Arrest/Notice to Appear: Your case begins when a police officer believes that you violated the law and place you under arrest or issues you a Notice to Appear in Court.

     Filing: Then, for everything except traffic tickets, the State Attorney’s Office will choose to either file or not file on the case.  If they choose to file, they can pick different charges from what the police originally chose.

    Arraignment: If the Prosecutor decides to file formal charges against you, an arraignment will be scheduled. During arraignment, the judge will read your charges, explain the penalty, and allow you to enter a plea of guilty or not guilty. If you have hired an attorney, they can waive your appearance to this hearing.

    Motions: If your attorney has filed pre-trial motions, like a Motion to Suppress or Motion to Dismiss, they will be heard before your trial date. During this hearing, the Prosecutor may present witnesses, your attorney will provide case law, and both sides will argue their positions to the judge. Based on the judge's ruling, your case may end at this hearing. Your appearance may be required at this hearing.

    Docket Sounding/Pre-Trial: By this hearing, your attorney should have received all of the police reports, statements, evidence lists, and other discovery for your case. You will likely have an offer to plea at this hearing. If the case is not ready for trial by this hearing, it will likely be continued to a later date so that your attorney has more time to prepare your case. At this hearing, a date for trial will be set. You appearance may or may not be required.

    Trial: On the day of trial, your attorney will select a jury panel, argue against the evidence presented by the state attorney, and make arguments to the jury to persuade them to find you not guilty. Your appearance is mandatory at this hearing.

    This process can take anywhere from a few days to several years.  

  • What if the victim does not want to go forward? 
    This is something the State should consider when deciding to file charges or not, but at the end of the day, the State is not bound by the victim’s wishes.  The State can go forward on charges the victim wants dropped or drop charges the victim wants to go forward.  For cases we are retained on, if the victim does not want to go forward we will get them to sign a declination of prosecution and send that over to the state along with a letter or statement on your behalf to try and get them to drop it.

  • What is the maximum penalty I can get? 
    Second Degree Misdemeanor
    A second-degree misdemeanor is a crime punishable by no more than sixty days in jail, six months of probation, and a $500 fine.
    First Degree Misdemeanor
    A first-degree misdemeanor is a crime punishable by no more than one year in jail, one-year probation, and a $1,000 fine.
    Third Degree Felony
    A third degree felony is punishable by up to five years in prison, five years probation, and a $5,000 fine.

    Second Degree Felony
    A second-degree felony is punishable by up to fifteen years in prison, fifteen years probation, and a $10,000 fine.

    First Degree Felony
    A first-degree felony is punishable by up to thirty years in prison, thirty years probation, and a $10,000 fine.

    Punishable by Life Felony (PBL)
    A punishable life felony is punishable by life in prison without the possibility of parole, or probation for the remainder of your life, and a $15,000 fine.

    Life Felony and Capital Felony
    A life felony requires the Judge to send you to prison for life if you are convicted and a capital felony is punishable by death or life in prison without the possibility of parole.

  •  What does notice of non-filing/no bill/null pros mean? 
    All of these things mean that the State has chosen, at least at this time, to no longer prosecute the case and unless they refile, the case is over.

  • What is a docket sounding/pre-trial/trial/arraignment/etc?
    Docket Sounding
    Status Hearing

  • Do I need to appear in court? 
    This is on a case by case basis, we will keep you updated about your court dates and if you need to be there or not.  Remember, if you need to be there, you should be early. If you are late or fail to show up, the Judge can issue a warrant for your arrest.
  •  What is a plea? 
    A plea is when you no longer contest your guilt and let the court sentence you.  Pleas can be based upon an agreement with the state, an agreement with the judge, or we can just decide to plea to the judge for a sentence without an agreement already in place.

  • What is a plea of guilty or no contest? 
    We try to have all of our clients plea no contest if they choose to resolve their case with a plea.  In this situation you are not admitting to guilt, just agreeing to be penalized by the court.  No contest pleas are not always an option, but they do limit the ability of someone to use the plea against your later at a violation of probation (VOP) or in a civil case.

  • What is a withhold of adjudication? 
    ​ A court does not adjudicate you for the crime, they do not find you guilty.  In this situation, it is not a conviction, so you are not a convicted criminal moving forward.

  • What happens if I become a convicted felon? 
    You lose a number of rights, among them the rights to vote, sit on a jury, and have a gun.

  • What is probation?
    If you are sentenced to probation as a result of a plea or adjudication at trial, you will be supervised by a period of time by a probation officer. During this time, you may be required to complete classes, community service, treatment or other conditions. You will also be subjected to drug testing, and must keep appointments with your probation officer.

  • What is community control?
    You may only be facing community control if you are charged with a felony. Community control is essentially “house arrest”—you are not permitted to leave your house for any reason except work, medical appointments, school, necessary errands, or appointments with your community control officer. Officers may check on you at any time to ensure that you are complying, and you may be required to complete some addition conditions.

  • What is the difference between jail and prison?
    Jail is the local county facility where you may be held until your case is over, or if you are sentenced to any time period under a year long. If you are facing a felony, you may be sentenced to prison—a state run facility—for one year or more. If you are sentenced to prison, you may be placed in a facility anywhere in the state. You may also be sentenced to heightened penalties if you are arrested within 3 years of your release from prison.

  • Am I going to jail today? 
    You will never be “surprised” with jail time. Jail time occurs only if one of the following instances occurs:

    Warrant: If there is a warrant for your arrest, you could be arrested at any time, including if you are present in court for a different case
    Plea: If you agree to jail time as part of a plea, you will be remanded from the courtroom unless a turn-in date has been previously worked out with the State Attorney and Judge.
    Lose Trial: When you make the decision to go to trial, there is always a risk that you may be found guilty. If you are found guilty, the Judge has the option of sentencing you to a jail term based on the severity of the chargeViolated a court order/conditions of bond: If you bonded out on a charge and agreed to comply with certain conditions (no contact, urinalysis, curfew), the court can revoke your bond and order you back in jail until your case is resolved. There is usually a hearing prior to your bond being revoked, giving you the time to meet with and attorney and put up a defense.Commit a new crime: If you are arrested on a new crime, your will not only go to jail for the new crime, but your bond can be revoked on your pending case.

  • As a victim, do I have any rights as the case moves forward?  
    Yes you do.  Florida Statute 960.001 outlines the rights that you are entitled to.  We offer victim representation for deposition prep, review of victim impact statements, assistance in complying with subpoenas and of course, representation at any rule to show cause hearings if you miss a court day.

Traffic Tickets

  • How does traffic court work?
  • Should I pay this ticket or fight it?

Family Law

  • What does a no-contact order mean?  What if he/she contacts me?
    No contact means NO contact. You may not contact the other party (petitioner) by phone, text, email, social media, smoke signals, or carrier pigeons. Contact also includes asking another person to contact the petitioner on your behalf. Violations of contact order can result in revocation of bond, contempt of court proceedings, violations of probation, jail time or fines. If the petitioner contacts you, let your attorney know immediately. Do not talk to them, do not respond. Even if the petitioner initiates the conversation, you will violate the “no contact” order by responding. Your attorney can act on your behalf to modify the order in court, inform the court of the contact, or educate the petitioner on why you are unable to respond. Save any messages from the petitioner for your attorney to review.
  • My spouse filed for divorce, what do I do now?
    Speak to an attorney. There is no way to know how long the process will take, how complicated the proceedings will be, how much money the divorce will cost, or what assets you risk losing unless we have the opportunity to review your assets, financial situation, any children involved in the marriage, or various disputes that need to be resolved. Call us to discuss whether your divorce can be resolved with an uncontested divorce agreement or whether you will need extensive litigation.

Academic Hearings

  • I’m a student who just got charged with a crime, will the school find out? 
    Possibly. During or after any arrest or open criminal case, the investigating agency may notify your school about your pending criminal matter. The school will almost certainly be notified if you are charged by the campus police, or if you inform the police that you are a student at a local university. Criminal charges are public record, so your university may find out at any time about open cases.
  • What happens if they do?
    If your school determines that your pending criminal case is a violation of the school honor code, they will likely send you a notice of the violation and schedule you for a hearing. You will have the opportunity to meet with a violations officer to review the accusations and evidence before the hearing and learn about your options. Attorneys with Jordan Law are experienced in the academic hearing process and can help prepare you for the hearings, meetings, and potential consequences. 

Orlando Lawyer Facebook Page


 ·            ·            ·           ·            ·           ·           ·           ·          ·           ·           ·          ·           ·           ·            ·           ·         ·           ·           ·            ·           ·            ·            ·           ·

Logo for Jordan Law Orlando & Kissimmee, FL
Orlando Lawyer Linked In Page

At Jordan Law, we are here to help you through what can be the most difficult time of your life. As part of that, we have created this basic FAQ which sets out many of the things you need to know as we move forward on your case. Please review these questions and if you have additional  questions or concernsgive us a call at (407)906-JLAW (5529).

Call us today for legal help!
Orlando Lawyer Twitter Page
Orlando Lawyer Google + Page